Control Systems Software Engineer
Makani Power, Inc. is seeking a control systems software engineer to develop the flight controller and simulation environment for a utility scale airborne wind turbine.
- Develop and maintain airborne wind turbine simulation environment
- Develop fault-tolerant flight software architecture
- Implement control system algorithms
- Write automated diagnostic tools for flight critical sensors and actuators
- Write unit tests for key flight controller and simulation components
- Work with close-knit team to develop the software that controls the future of wind power
- BS or MS in computer science or related field (Ph.D. is a plus)
- Extensive experience with C/C++
- Knowledge of control theory and digital signal processing
- Experience developing high-reliability embedded software
- Experience with autonomous aerial vehicles or other robotic systems
- Experience with C programming for real-time, embedded systems
- Knowledge of MISRA-C, JPL, or equivalent coding standards for high-reliability software
- Experience with real-time Linux or VxWorks
- Experience with DO-178B software certification
- Knowledge of aerodynamics and dynamic simulation
- Python and Bash scripting
Makani Power is seeking a prototyping engineer with both an analytical foundation (BS) and signiﬁcant hands-on prototyping experience. The ideal candidate would have experience building and testing weight-constrained systems on a short turnaround time.
- Design and fabrication of composite and metal airframe components
- Support of ﬂight testing operations including oﬀsite travel
- Mechanically integrate electrical components into test vehicle
- Perform packaging of electrical components
Required Skills and Experience
- Proﬁciency in Siemens NX, Solidworks, Catia, or any other CAD suite (NX preferred)
- Structural statics and good sense of suﬃcient strength
- Able to fabricate a metal part from a technical drawing
- CNC mill tool pathing and operation.
- Soldering and circuit board and other electromechanical assemblies
- Experience with composite construction and/or design
- RC aircraft enthusiast or private pilot
Most importantly, the applicant must have a positive attitude, a passion for renewable energy, and willingness to work at a startup pace to help advance an innovative and challenging ﬁeld. While the majority of this job will occur on site at our Alameda location, the applicant should expect to spend 20% of days at testing locations around the San Francisco Bay Area. Please submit a resume and a brief description of the work that best meets your interests to jobs+mech[at]makanipower.com.